All of our meals are freshly prepared on a daily basis, using good quality ingredients. It is our aim to ensure that all students can choose from a wide range of healthy, tasty and nutritious meals and products. We also offer tempting vegetarian options and special diets are catered for too.
At QEHS we like to offer the students a more flexible and informal service, reflecting the changing tastes of the young people and one that is consistent with a modern, high street style service, including:
- Light and informal dining environments
- A 'grab and go' provision for students who do sports and other activities on a lunchtime
- A pre-order system which means less queuing at lunchtime. Students can pre order their lunch at breakfast service or morning break and it will be ready for collection at lunchtime
- Satellite service points to reduce the frustration of queuing
- Vending machines are located in the main school to purchase a variety of food and drinks throughout the day and for after school activities
Breakfast Service: 8.00am to 8.45am
We offer a breakfast service for all year groups in the Sixth Form café which is situated in the main school building. A selection of breakfast items are available as a breakfast meal deal or individually priced. (click on image for full size view):
Mid-morning Break: 11.20am to 11.40am offering a variety of foods individually priced
- A selection of cereals
- A selection of savoury items including: toast, toasted sandwiches, teacakes, breakfast muffins, crumpets and bacon sandwiches
- A range of sandwiches and wraps
- A variety of fresh fruit and yogurt
- Water, selection of juices and flavoured water, hot drinks are available from the vending machines
Lunchtime Service 12.40pm to 1.20pm
There is a very good choice to encourage the students to eat a well-balanced diet throughout the day. Our menu is produced in line with the Government’s new food standards. For those students who bring a packed lunch to school we ask parents to refrain from including confectionery, crisps or fizzy drinks.
We offer a varied healthy menu from a 2 course set meal of the day for £2.55 to individually priced menu items including:
- Daily specials
- Filled jacket potatoes
- Paninis and pizza
- Hot wraps
- Pasta pots with selection of sauces
- Curry pots with selection of sauces and mini naan bread
- Fresh soups
- Selection of sandwiches with a variety of fillings
- Salad bowls
- Hot and cold desserts plus fruit pots, yogurts, fresh fruit
- Home baked items i.e.; scones, flapjack
- Selection of fruit juices, milk, milkshakes, smoothies, water and flavoured water
Look out for the great value 'Meal Deal Offers’ 3 items for only £2.55
Sandwich Meal Deal Selected sandwich, homebake, piece of fruit or yoghurt & selected drink
Pizza Wedge Meal Deal Pizza wedge, homebake, piece of fruit or yoghurt & selected drink
Jacket Potato Meal Deal Jacket potato with filling, homebake, piece of fruit or yoghurt & selected drink
The 3-week menu is available to view below (PDF download):
Product Price List (click on image for full size view)
Special Diets and Allergies
If a student has a special diet or an allergy to any food we would appreciate if you could inform the school.
Should you require any further information please contact the School Office and we will gladly arrange for our Catering Manager to contact you.
Payment System for School Meals
The school operates a biometric cashless school meals system. The biometric system is based on fingertip recognition technology. Every student is issued with an account which allows them to buy food and drink at morning break and lunchtime using their fingertip or pin number.
Money can be added to the account by online payments via the School Gateway smartphone app or the website. Alternatively, you may pay by cheque or cash.
If a student qualifies for free school meals the monetary value is added to the account daily and they have total anonymity with the system.
It would be appreciated if students' accounts maintain a credit balance at all times. Students can check their account balance on the cash loading machines located in the school or they may ask at the till point. We will however endeavour to notify students if their balance is low or the account has insufficient funds. Contact will be made with parents/carers where insufficient funds are available or there is money owing on the students' account.
- Parents/carers can make online payments via the School Gateway smartphone app or the website (click the button above or see link below). You will also be able to view school meal balances and purchases, and top up school meals money at any time.
- In order to make online payments you will need to activate your School Gateway account using your email address and mobile number that the school holds on record for you.
- To set up online payments, you will need to visit the website (www.schoolgateway.com) and click on 'New User'. You will receive a text message with a PIN number. Use this PIN to log into the School Gateway.
- Complete the initial set up for payments using your bank account and sort code. After this set up, payments can be made on either the website or the app.
- Download the app: if you have a smartphone, please download the School Gateway app from your app store (Apple and Android only). You will be able to check and see that money has been added to your child's school meals balance under 'My Lunch Money'.
- The app shows the same information as the website PLUS it saves the school money when we send you a text message.
- Once you have paid online and the payment has been processed you will receive an email confirming this.
- Payment will be received through School Gateway to your child's school meals account the day you make the payment. However, your bank account may not have the money taken out of it for a few days.
- If you're having trouble logging in, it may be because the school does not have your current email and mobile phone number on record. Please contact the school and we'll update your details on our system.
- Cheques should be made payable to Queen Elizabeth High School or QEHS.
- Please write your child's name on the back of the cheque.
- Cheques should be placed in an envelope and clearly marked with your child’s name, form class and amount.
- Cheque deposit boxes are located in the main foyer by the kitchen door and the Hydro foyer.
- Cash may be added to your child’s account by using one of the cash loading machines situated in the Lower School or Hydro building.
- Please note: the new £5 notes cannot be accepted in the cash loading machines. Therefore can we please ask that you put them in an envelope clearly marked with your child’s name, form class and amount.
- Place the envelope in one of the cheque deposit boxes located in the main foyer by the kitchen door and the Hydro foyer.
The Main Benefits and Features of Cashless Systems
- Parents/carers can make online payments via the School Gateway smartphone app or the website cutting out the need for cheques or cash and making sure that dinner money is used for the purpose intended.
- School Gateway also enables you to view school meal balances and purchases, and top up school meals money at any time.
- Parents/carers can send cash or cheque into school in advance and this is credited to the account. (Cheques should be made payable to Queen Elizabeth High School).
- A daily spend limit can be applied to the account.
- Individual reports on a student’s account can be produced on request from the Catering Manager.
- The biometric system allows a more efficient way of serving.
- The speed of service is increased and queues are reduced.
- If a student qualifies for free school meals the monetary value of £2.55 per day is automatically added to the student’s account.
- Students on free meals can be assured of total anonymity with this system.
- Students with a free meal allowance may also add money to their account by either the School Gateway app, cheque or cash to enable them to purchase additional items above the free school meal allocation of £2.55.
- Students leaving school will only be issued a refund if the balance is over £5.00 please request a refund form from the school office and this will be processed through the Finance Office.
If you think you may be entitled to free school meals you can apply:
- Online via http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Education/Schools/Meals.aspx
- By telephone: 01670 623592
Certain data will be held on the system to enable accurate operation. This will include the pupil's name, tutor group, photo, account balance and meal entitlement. This data is handled under the guidelines of the Data Protection Act and only used by parties directly involved with the implementation of the system. If you have any concerns please contact the School Office on 01434 610300.
You may wish to view our School Food Policy.