- Fixed term contract until 31 August 2023
- Band 4 Support Staff contract (37 Hours per week, term time plus 5 additional days)
- Pro rata salary £19 216 per annum
- Start Date – as soon as possible
- Closing Date: 1pm Monday 30 January 2023
We are a large and flourishing high school set in the historical market town of Hexham and are co-located with Hexham Middle School as part of Hadrian Learning Trust. In September 2021, we moved into brand new school buildings with state-of-the-art learning facilities. We cherish the strong partnerships that exist between pupils, parents/carers, staff, and the local community making this a successful, friendly, and welcoming school. Pupils at QEHS have an eagerness to learn and achieve very well academically. We pride ourselves on the care we give the children at QEHS.
We are seeking a committed and passionate Academic Mentor. Reporting to the CL for English the role is to work with students in Y9-11 on raising levels of literacy. You will work closely with the English department and the AHT (Inclusion) to identify weak readers, plan appropriate intervention, work with individuals, small groups and provide in lesson support.
The Main Responsibilities of the role are;
- To use specialist skills, training, or experience to support pupils learning you will plan, lead and evaluate the impact of small group literacy support sessions across school year groups.
- Assist with baseline testing for reading and writing.
- Provide pastoral support for pupils.
- Alongside the English department plan intervention for small groups of students identified as requiring support. This will include guided reading, phonics support and spelling/grammar intervention.
- Establish productive relationships with pupils, acting as a role model and responding to the needs of each individual child, acting as a role model and setting high expectations
A full Job Description and Person Specification is available in the link below.
The successful applicant will access a supportive induction and training package. We welcome applications from all underrepresented groups and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments individuals may require in the recruitment process, on commencement, or once in post.
If you would like to discuss the role further, please speak to Heather Howard, Curriculum Leader for English by calling 01434610300. If you would like to apply please complete a HLT application form and a letter of application detailing how you meet the person specification by Monday 30 January at 1:00pm to email@example.com.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory Certificate of Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We reserve the right to amend or withdraw this advert at any time.